Pages

9.08.2010

Mocha Latte Cake

Photobucket

To no one's surprise, it's time to mention that our little family is moving to yet another town. I know, again. Again! At least we will be in the same province, and only two hours away from us now. Actually, we'll be about a twenty five minute drive away from our original beautiful blue home that we sold and moved away from just a year and change ago, hoping to get away from it all.

Hmph.

Our beautiful blue home is now, by the way, a corn stalk green, and not at all beautiful or blue.

So it goes. This is why they invented comfort food.

Photobucket

I think the hardest part about moving away from our current place is having to leave behind the mixing bowls. They belong to the landlords, but they are so wonderful, the perfect weight and size, and, I swear, make every thing taste better. They are a pleasure to make messy and have to wash up.

I will have to keep an eye open for replacements to call my very own. Until we go, however, a few more times around the cupboard. There are plenty of birthdays this time of year. Perhaps you have one too?

Photobucket


Here's to you and the comfort of a well stocked kitchen.


Mocha Latte Cake

2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
4 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
3 eggs equivalent of Egg Replacer
2 tbsp instant coffee
1 tsp salt

1/2 cup olive oil
1 cup soy or almond milk
1 tsp vanilla

1/2 cup chocolate chips

Mix the dry ingredients (excluding chocolate chips) in a large, creamy white ceramic mixing bowl.  Add the wet ingredients and mix well.  Add in chocolate chips and gently stir.  Pour mixture into two 8" cake pans.  Put in oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 40 minutes or until it is springy to the touch. 

10 comments:

  1. perhaps the home owners would be willing to sell the magic mixing bowls? but, of course you mustn't let on about the magic....

    I'll have to try this cake soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say offer to buy them too! Spin a story about how many cakes you made with Smootch in them and they would be a lovely reminder and heirloom once you move on. I know if I left bowls in a place I was renting out, I wouldn't be terribly attached to them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I own a mixing bowl, my grandmother left behind. I love it and I guess, because of my grandma's love, cream whipped in that bowl never turns into butter, but stays perfectly whipped! ;-)

    (Is 350°C right? I would say, it's a little bit high for cakes it's my temperature for pizza... And is there a filling? The cake looks so yummy, I need to try it!)

    Greetings from Germany,

    Tanja
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I posted this whole thing and Blogger screwed up. So you'll just have to be pleased with this watered down version.

    -My birthday is in ten days. UGH. Thirty should be a dirty word.

    -Moving might be good. We're moving soon too.

    -Buy the bowls and replace them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Birthdays galore! My little one is two on Sunday: her daddy and gram not far behind. May try this cake out on Hubby. Best with the Move!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just tweeked my shopping list and added: whole wheat flour, chocolate frosting.... nummy nummy nummy!!!

    Thank you for posting this! Today I could really use some comfort cake.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks all! The Man says I can probably buy the same bowls at superstore - so much for great quality and distinction :D So be it, I will.

    Frau Traumberg, no, Fahrenheit. Opps, thanks for mentioning it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Celebrating back to back birthdays today and tomorrow, with a 4 of the six people in my house celebrating September birthdays! Good luck on your move.
    I hope the transition is smooth. Sad about the blue house :(. We relocated recently and the people renting our house are slowly and surely draining every bit of character from our home (mostly without permission).

    ReplyDelete
  9. moving is sooo good! think possitive and of all the possibilities. only saying that to bouy myself up as we are considering the same thing- 7 hours distance.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am going to make it right now for Liesl's half birthday!

    ReplyDelete