Pages

9.03.2014

fox mask

 photo 5dd565fd-e63a-4d1a-8bb3-cf6db5021d18.jpg

Today I got to put a few final touches on this little paper mache fox mask I made.  I wanted shiny fixative and I think I've got it.  It was boy child's idea that we all dress up around the house to compliment our Into the Woods life-is-theatre theme.  This was my first attempt at an actual paper mache mask.  Fairly mixed results, I think.  The curled ear did not please me, but it is strong and lightweight.  Next time I will probably use a thicker cardboard base; this this one I only used cardstock.  I can't say much about my painting, but, hey, you win some, you lose some.  The important part is to not look back and move on to the next project.

Speaking of paper mache, it was very sad for me to learn that my local library could not actually bring in a copy of Jonni Good's How to Make Masks book.  Still, I'm so very grateful to Jonni Good for her excellent video tutorials and all the fantastic information she shares online.  Bless the sharers.  Seriously, free tutorials - people sharing information on making, using, hacking, eating, listening, inspiring - helps me feel optimistic about humanity.  Thank you Internet freebies for restoring my faith in people.

And now, I'm going to try out my new mask and maybe sample a cider.  Foxes, like rats, love fine alcoholic cider. 

1 comment: