Pages

3.04.2010

me and my army, that's who


These trousers used to be a lone curtain panel that I found in a thrift store for a dollar. I simply could not leave behind a pre-pintucked sheet of quality fabric that nobody was going to want since there was only one of its kind. My heart told me to take the stray home and give it a new life.

So, I did, and then it sat in my stash for months while I tried to figure out exactly what to do with khaki cotton. I mean, I sew for kids. It's not really their thing. They usually want to wear day-glow green, garnish pink and vein popping orange. They generally do not try to blend in with the greenery.


But, when the curtain, tired of being ignored, said, 'Trousers!' to me, I obeyed. The curtain was lovingly laid flat, chopped up, and transformed into two pairs of pants. Birdie's is the Birdie Britches pattern and the other is from the Name-Yet-To-Be-Announced hipsters for slim kids. Since both patterns are just a one piece cut plus pockets, they lent themselves well to the already established pintucks.


The challenge was to actually get the kids to like the dull green trousers and want to wear them. I pulled out a few of my tricks, added their favorite colours, some iron-on shiny stars (my kids are nuts about stars), and - the ultimate - made them matching. Well, sort of matching.


The embellishments are supposed to be suggestive of the military, with decorations, stars, and the chevron rank along the backside. (Disclaimer: For those who are in the know military-wise, please don't ride me over my very wrong use of stars and chevrons. This is military chic, not actual military.) The ribbon decorations are actually the cut off edges of someone's quilting I found at The Free Store (a whole bag of lovely, colourful scraps). I really just folded under the edges and sewed on. Couldn't be easier.


I was initally going to stitch on three chevrons for a Sergent's rank, but I sort of got lazy. The Man pointed out that one chevron was for a Private rank. I said, "You mean I made Private Pants?" The Man just gave me a look and rolled his eyes. I don't know when that guy lost his sense of humor, but I had a good giggle about it.

In all, the whole project was incredibly fast and easy and satisfying. I got a silly joke in, had some fun with embellishments, and the children like dressing up all matchy matchy. I feel like I've gotten away with something.


Have a fantastic weekend all!

14 comments:

  1. beautiful. I myself have begun scavenging thrift stores for fabric! (is it just me or is fabric from fabric stores getting more and more expensive?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these pants. And I wish I had access to good thrift stores over here! Also, I went fabric shopping yesterday, and should get to the post office this weekend. My husband left kind of unexpectedly (15months!) so life got flipped upside for a couple weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yay, that lone curtain had love it was never gonna get ;)
    They are fabulous!
    What a cute army :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd say you can sleep safe and sound with such a fashionable army to protect you at night ;-)

    Cute trousers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This makes me want to go scour the thrift store for forlorn curtains and sheets.

    I can't wait to see the new pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Could Birdie be any more adorable in Pic #2? He's all snuggled into the hat!

    I was looking at the pintuck foot for my new machine & thinking "what could I use this for?" Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Am I crazy or did you once post a tute on how to do pintucks? Can't seem to find it!?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are the BEST pants ever! :) I am sure you will have a hard time getting them off of the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am currently in a LOVE affair with pintucks. They are such a great embellishment to otherwise blah fabric. Your embellishment ideas for the pants were genius! Beautiful pants!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know what you mean about feeling like you've gotten away with something! My kids, my daughter in particular, is very picky about the colors she wears. Love your post on sewing what kids will wear. Both of my kids adore teal and even though I don't I still find myself sewing with it... Good job Mom! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that your kids love to dress matchy-matchy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome pants! Thank you for being so generous with all of your wonderful tutes. You are truly an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  13. those are awesome.

    so awesome, in fact, i had to hurry and buy the birdie britches pattern that i've been wanting for ages but haven't bought yet. well. now i did. can't wait to make some for my son. thanks!!

    ReplyDelete