Pages

4.23.2009

clothes pin butterfly

Smootch originally saw this idea on a video of crafty projects for kids and was completely enamored with it. Being sparkly, beady, and able to pinch, it's a very enticing project for a four year old. She had me digging out the beads I had been saving from her school projects for a year out just before bedtime last night (I actually do understand last minute inspirations, and how important it is to go with it and damn the toothbrushing.) Smootch has given me permission to share her project with everyone here.


To make a clothes pin butterfly, round yourself up some pipe cleaners, acrylic paint and brushes, beads with large enough holes for the pipecleaners, and sturdy glue (white or hot). Oh, and a clothes pin!


First up, paint your clothes pin in an acceptable butterfly colour.

While the paint is drying, load up two pipecleaners with beads, leaving an inch clear on each of the ends.

Twist the beaded pipecleaner into a figure 8 with the ends coming off the side in the middle. Twist the ends together to secure.



Cut a smaller length of pipecleaner for antenne. Finish the ends with a couple of beads.


Gather all of your butterfly elements and glue. Attach the antenne at mid point with a small pool in the dip on one side of the clothes pin mouth. If you want your clothes pin to open still, I suggest proping the mouth open with a bead until the glue is dry.


The wings are applied by globbing some glue inside of the spring and tucking in the twisted ends(you may need to trim the pipecleaner a bit).


Smootch's butterfly actually spent the night drying on the top of the refrigerator. Here it is the next day:

If you decide that your butterfly is still a bit too plain, as Smootch did, add some more paint to the clothes pin.


And then you have yourself one sparkly, pretty, pinchy butterfly ;)

20 comments:

  1. As usual, great tutorial! Wonderful pictures! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank Smooth, and thank you for your great site! It made me start sewing again, for the first time in years. And I have since made each of my two girls 4 skirts, and 3 for me, as well as your peasant top. All in just the last 2 months! And a few days ago, I made the sundress, for all three of us. Thank you for sharing, I love your sites, and I'll be back often!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great butterfly ! I am terrified of real ones but love the fake kind lol~ Thanks for sharing my daughter will love this project ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. so simple, so cute - a bit of magnetic something-or-other* hot glued to the underside and you've got yourself one cool fridge magnet to hold the shopping list, to-do list, etc. Love it!
    * Am I the only one who has a gazillion business-card like fridge magnets for pizza and insurance and car repair? Just cut 'em up and glue 'em on the backs and the fridge is transformed, just in time for spring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stinken cute. We are gonna make some for mother's day and maybe add a magnet for the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another great project - thanks! I do know about going with inspiration when it strikes. Just last night our 6 year old wanted to show the family how to make Japanese paper lanterns about 7pm. Then we had to wait until it got good and dark to light some votives inside. I was so happy that we did it and ignored our bedtimes. Now I think I'll dig out that jar of beads that I stashed somewhere in the closet to make butterflies and dragonflies. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww what a sweet idea, I love this! I'll be linking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea - I think my girls will make these for the grandmas for Mother's day. I like the idea of a magnet on the back too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. sweet!
    by the way, i was directed here for a dress pattern tutorial and found it. thanks. and i LOVE your attitude on no-ads and on using information you have posted in whatever way is needed. gave me a big smile.
    nicola
    http://whichname.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a really neat idea and agree with the above poster that this would be great for a kid to make to give to Grandma on Mothers Day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey there! My girls made these today and I linked to you. Thanks so much for the cute tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks like it's a fun craft to work with. The kid really looks like she enjoyed making it. Thank you for sharing this wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been a follower for quite some time now. Stop by and pickup your "The Adorable Blog Award". Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  14. my mouth literally dropped when i saw the pic on crafty crow. Adorable!! Sweet!! Cute!!
    and it involves a variety of skills! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Adorable! These will be great to work on with my preschool and kinder art students!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is beautiful! It would be pretty to hang in a window too. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We just made these and they turned out super cute :) Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Old nail polish paints work too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fun idea! Since disabilities can be intimidating to little ones, I'm being gradually introduced to some precious children via my home health aides. This would be such a fun project to do together, and after they dry, to pretend play! It's a project that I can do without the assistance of a home health aide, so I can independently teach preschoolers this project. Can't wait! Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete