Pages

4.12.2012

Scenes from Easter

Photobucket

I know I've mentioned it before, but I have to say it again.  I love my grandparents' farm.

Photobucket

They seem to think that the farm is theirs, but in reality it's mine.

Photobucket

It's been mine since 1975, the year I was born and the year they moved in together at this farm.

Photobucket

The farm is mostly retired.  The land, the buildings, my grandparents.  The few animals that still live there are also retired.

Photobucket

But, right now, the farm is busy.  The farm sits right under the direct yearly route of snow geese, swans, and other rare migrating birds.  Every three minutes the air fills with boisterous honks and coos as hundreds of birds at a time make their way to their summer homes.

Photobucket

The farm is my absolute, hands down, favorite place to be and spring is the best season ever.

Photobucket

So last weekend was pretty good.

Photobucket

For most of us anyway.

Photobucket

The farm house is decorated with a hundred coats of pastel paint and dust.

Photobucket

It's a study in wear and aging on all sorts of surfaces.  Metal, fabric, people.

Photobucket

It's where you can find the detritus from four different generations casually piled up on a dresser.

Photobucket

And where every part of a closet is crammed to capacity but nothing hangs from dozens of hangers over two rods on top.

Photobucket

I cherish the paradox that is my grandparents farm.  I think it's where I learned to have a sense of humour about life.

Photobucket

And my sense of time, when the etchings of the past constantly vie for attention in the here and now.

Photobucket

I always bring something home from grandma's.  This time it was a stool made by a boy who stayed at the farm for a year thirty years ago.  I will have to show you it soon.
I also brought home one of my great aunt Millie's quilts to repair.I'm pretty sure it's at least as old as I am. 

Photobucket

There are some odd rust stains on it, a couple of ripped patches to cover and the edging is entirely gone.  It won't be a complete restoration but hopefully I can bring it back into usable condition.

Photobucket

Take my own place in history.

3 comments:

  1. Great Photos, I love to peek at the things that people keep, when a house is a home and the way that certain objects seem to absorb a bit of soul from the place they sit in, or the people who chose them. Reminds me of my Grandparent's house- thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder what lovely word the high-flying geese are spelling out?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos. You must post a picture of the quilt after you repair it. ♥

    ReplyDelete