Pages

1.18.2012

Varying Fractual Diversion

Photobucket

Outside right now it's -41 c with the windchill.  I opted to keep Smootch home for the day instead of dragging us all out into air that is so cold it hurts to breath.

But it's sunny.  As long as the sun is out - and I'm indoors - I don't mind winter.  

Here is a little project the kids and I did to capitalize on the sun and give us something colourful to rest our eyes and hearts on during the coldest time of the year.

A few years ago The Man brought home a spice rack he had rescued but I had never used.  The spices had become stale and while thing was pushed into the back of cupboard.

I had the kids empty out the spice containers.  They learned some interesting lessons about nasal irritants and the body's respiratory defense system. Nothing quite like sneezing fourteen times in a row to teach somebody to pour out the cayenne pepper closer to the compost bowl.  (Our compost pile critters are in for a shock too.)

Photobucket

Emptied and clean-ish, I filled the spice jars up with water.

Photobucket

I would of loved to find some natural materials to make a dye, but beggars in minus 41 degree weather can't be choosers.  Boring old food colouring did just fine.

Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket

And there it is.

Photobucket

You may have noticed little bits of cardboard in the background of the above pictures.  I'm not sure if any day off school could possibly be complete without a cardboard box house.  Free pdf pattern to the first commenter who can identify the inspiration.

Photobucket


Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. oh...i love me some Lemony Snicket!! LOL Wonderful Hotel!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You wouldn't want to post that color blending chart would you? Looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! Cute Hotel! I loved the Series of Unfortunate Events!

    ReplyDelete