Pages

7.27.2017

minimalist top for needlework

 
I've been working on making a simple minimalist top pattern that I can whip up in half an hour or so and use to play around with some machine drawing and embroidery.  I really love functional, wearable art, and want to spend some more time playing with that.

Here is my minimalist top 1.0:


With a spider and web 1.0.

The spider is all machine sewn (no breaks!  I don't know why, but I made that a rule.)   I placed the structural secondary layer of fabric on the outside so that I could have it appear a bit deconstructed and remind myself not to take myself too seriously - always a danger in the design stage.  This is supposed to be fun and basic.


The web creeps over the shoulder into a wee web. 

It fits nice and loose, super comfortable.  There is some work to do in having the shoulder in a bit tighter... maybe make it a racer back?  Or maybe not.  I always like to have something that I don't have to wear pinch-y bras with, if you know what I mean.  It would also make an excellent pajama top.

I did wear this to a pub show the other night and nobody laughed out loud at me so I will consider it a so-far success.



Now onto the next incarnation of the top and come up with another arachnid illustration.

No comments:

Post a Comment