Pages

2.16.2012

dodging

Photobucket

Whelp, I think, if someone cared enough to give me a domestic report card, they'd have to fail me on minimalism.  I am a rotten declutterer.  I can not resist funny little dishes from second hand stores.  I am incapable of recycling any little scrap of paper my children so happen as doddle on.  I thought that my tiny house, I would be forced to pare down and go without, but it seems that habit and mid-winter cravings for colour win out even in the tightest spaces.

Photobucket

And my books.  My books are a minimalist nightmare.  I've not only bookshelves, but book piles and book stashes.  I've book drifts.

Photobucket

Since I've failed to establish a sense of minimalist calm in my house, I've been seeking it elsewhere.  Oddly enough - or, perhaps, obviously - that sensation of organized possibility and restful peace I imagined I would feel in a minimalist household I experience in the library.  Lots of books.  Lots of possibility.  And someone else who does the organizing and cleaning.

Photobucket

Cafes and shopping centres are actually quite relaxing too, for all their busyness.  With the children, we all engage in our absolute favorite activity: people watching.  Birdie, whose entire demeanor and energy level screams three year old, can sit quietly for an entire hour in a mall food court, just munching french fries and watching people.  And as long as I don't take him into any stores, because he wants everything (and only experiences relief from the agony of desire is for him to lay in a cart with his eyes closed), he can maintain his calm energy for quite some time. 

Photobucket

Of course, since I don't have a portable phone, when I'm out, I'm out.  No electronic or social network distractions.  At home... I may be a bit distracted by the laptop.  (I just paused this post to check Facebook.  Maybe a bit more than a little distrac-

Photobucket

But, right now, the house is a mess, there's dishes to be done (my nemesis) and in 644 square feet there is nowhere for a failed minimalist at home to hide.  So I'm going to take Birdie out for lunch at the food court (where I can now buy vegan grain salads, muffins, sushi, steamed veggies, and smoothies for me and, as always, mexi-fries for the boy) and then swing by to pick Smootch up from school and take us all down to the library.  And I won't bring my phone, because I don't have one, and I won't bring much money, because I don't want to buy anything more than lunch (and I don't have a lot), and I won't bring more than I can carry because I hate pushing around carts and strollers (it's hard to carry my coffee cup). 

Even if I can't be a minimalist in here, I will go be one out there.  With lots of noise, coffee, and busy, racing, drama-filled people texting and shouting at the same time.  And then books.  Lots and lots of books. 

Quite enough.

5 comments:

  1. Love this post. I'm a thrift-store loving person living amidst drifts of books, too. Minimalism is lovely for some. For me, the books are lovely. (Just wish I had enough shelves...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I attempted the minimalist lifestyle, but it doesn't really fit me. I find that big empty expanses (i.e. a clean kitchen table) are intimidating and suck the creative energy right out of me. I mean, how could I possible pull out the sewing machine and the fabric and mess up that pristine kitchen table? So much better to just leave it all out so I don't feel guilty making a crafty mess on the clean table.
    And yeah, I hate the dishes too. I think they multiple like bunnies while I am sleeping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! Seems like my blogroll is filled with "perfectionists" who have organized, Type-A houses. I feel like such an alien already in a sea of Type-A's.... thanks for being "you" and sharing your life, thrift store finds/ crafts and all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As much as I love less sruff...when you are raising half a dozen little ones, there is always stuff. I agree, other peoples clitter free lives are beautiful to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah for libraries and getting out of the house!

    ReplyDelete