Pages

10.28.2008

roasted pumpkin seeds

While watching The Man and Smootch carve the jack o lantern today, I remembered doing the same with a friend a couple years back whom, I was shocked to learn, had absolutely no idea that roasting the seeds were the best part of the whole pumpkin carving experience. Apparently she had reached the age of 30 something, carved dozens of pumpkins, and never once ate a seed. Did not even know they were edible! Now I know all of you know how great pumpkin seeds are, but just in case there is a single person out there unknowingly being deprived of roasted pumpkin seed goodness, here is what to do:

Cut the top off the pumpkin and scoop out all the stringey goop and seeds. Separate the seeds from the goop and rinse. Dry the seeds as best as you can on a tea towel. Put the seeds on a cookie sheet and mix just a tiny bit of oil or sunflower oil with them. Roast seeds in 350 degree oven, turning occasionally, for about 10-15 minutes, or until they are golden brown. Sprinkle seeds with a bit of salt and any seasoning you desire (nutritional yeast flakes, chili powder, seasoning salt, etc.) Let seeds cool a minute.

Some people shell the seeds while eating them, like sunflower seeds, but I like to crunch the the seed whole. Bon appetit!

6 comments:

  1. I had intended on doing that this year, but my pumpkin is still sitting in my kitchen...uncarved. Maybe next year will be the year the kids experience the yummy pumpkin seeds. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh, I may go get a pumpkin just to do this! I really enjoy reading your blog, and I wanted to let you know that you are one of my crafty blogs this week!
    Love
    Tiff
    www.craftyhomemaker.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you soak them in salt water then the shells turn out nice and crunchy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE pumpkin seeds! These look great!

    By the way, you have been tagged! Go to my blog and see if you want to play along!

    Thanks!
    Warmly,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did this this year, although I was sad to see how few seeds our pumpkin had :(

    Just found your blog and am delighted with all the tutorials! I am a novice seamstress and I am itching to sit at the sewing machine when I can find a free minute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm still shocked US don't eat pumpkin regularly with meals. Nothing beats a roast beef with potatoes and pumpkin (carrots, and other veges too!). I like pumpkin seeds but easier to buy Pepitas in the shops since most of the pumpkin I buy is deseeded ready for cooking

    ReplyDelete